From the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium to the Thiepval memorial in France, the Commonwealth War Graves Commision (CWGC) tends some of the most iconic architectural structures in the world. Our sites and their surroundings have a significant heritage value. We seek to preserve and conserve, but remaining true to our principle of commemorating the names of the fallen.
There has been growing worldwide recognition of the historical significance and value of our sites, with increasing numbers of cemeteries and memorials being listed and protected by national and/regional governments. In Western Europe Area more than 600 employees are working on the maintenance and management of our sites. In addition to a regular maintenance, restoration projects (up to 2.000.000 €) are executed yearly.
Join our team in Beaurains/Ieper as Surveyor.
- Ownership of the survey process from planning to implentation in order that our built estate is surveyed within a 5 year cycle.
- Record and assess technical problems identified during each survey to inform, influence and guide managers decision-making on allocating of resources.
- Manage the input of survey technical data into an executable projects programme plan and associated database project programme.
- Produce technical reports/drawings for the technical manager to support business cases and project plans.
- Write and compile technical specifications and conservation policies for projects and assist in guiding staff in the performance of their duties.
- Compose monthly project reports to advise senior management on progress.
- Assist with the communication on the conservation project.
- Degree in Architecture, Conservation or Chartered Surveyor (UK) or equivalent qualification/experience and ability to demonstrate thorough experience/background in conservation law, technical projects and architecture/engineering.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of historic architecture, building methods and conservation/restoration techniques with an eye for design, the ability to sketch designs and plans and an understanding of technical drawings.
- Knowledge of technical specifications and confidence in working with measurements and budget calculations.
- Good level of proficiency in Microsoft packages: Excel and Word is a must, ideally MS Project and AUTOCAD.
- Good command of English language and good working knowledge of French or Dutch (or willingness to learn).
- Administrative and organisational skills with a methodical approach to work.
- Good analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong team-working skills.
- Driving Licence B.
- Prepared to travel and work across Europe.
We offer a challenging international work environment in which competence and quality play an important role. Enhancing personal growth and a real opportunity to invest in your future through on the job development and training.
If interested, please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org