Hot glass summer residencies 2018
The glass centre GlazenHuis (Lommel, Belgium) is organizing two individual residencies for hot glass artists this upcoming summer. We are looking for two multiskilled / wide ranging glassblowers with interesting art practices, who are able to work for two weeks at the glass studio of the GlazenHuis.
Both residencies are to be conducted in two parts. During the first week the successful applicant will work together with a Belgian (non-glass) sculptural artist or designer. The second week the summer resident will have complete freedom to research and experiment on the creation of new work.
We are expecting
The summer resident will talk through designs with the artist/designer and translate them into realistic projects. Tests and experiments will introduce the artist/designer to the possibilities and limitations of working with hot glass within the GlazenHuis facilities. The goal is the execution of a number of successful works or elements for the artist/designer.
During the second week, the summer resident will create and donate one successful work of art as a contribution to the city’s contemporary glass collection. All other works created during the second week remain the property of the summer resident. Packing and shipping of this work will be the responsibility of and at the expense of the summer resident.
We are offering
- Full access to the hot and cold-working facilities
- An assistant glassblower/cold-worker
- Free lodging, including a full breakfast
- Transport costs covered up to 500€
- An honorarium of 1500€
- Period 1: 16 July – 29 July 2018
- Period 2: 30 July – 12 August 2018
Available hot glass facilities: Furnace (140 kg clear Preciosa Ornela glass), glory hole (Ø 50 cm, 70 cm deep) and annealers, blowpipes and glassblowing tools, gas/oxygen torch, colour rods and powders by Kugler and Reichenbach.
How to apply
Interested applicants, who agree with the conditions above, may send an application by email (1 PDF file) to email@example.com before the application deadline of 31 May 2018.
Selection of the summer residents will be announced by 10 June 2018.
- 1) A short bio and current curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages), including full contact information, telephone number and email address.
- 2) Up to 15 images indicating technical skills and artistic talents.
- 3) A residency proposal outlining how the residency will contribute to the applicant's artistic development and what the applicant intends to achieve .
- 4) A clear description and preferably design drawing of the artwork to be created and donated as a contribution for the city’s contemporary glass collection.